For La Trobe University Bendigo's open day (August 2018) I was asked to exhibit work in the Phyllis Palmer Gallery Annex on campus.
I used the space to explore more process driven art. I re-exhibited my large work on paper, In Over her Head from the collaborative show Intercalibration. It was previously exhibited as one large image [Fig. 1]. I felt it was not successful as a single large image, the walls height was not big enough, I felt like it needed more negative space to 'open' it up.
I took the opportunity to seperate the image. It was created in 6 sections to make the install easier, by putting it together part-by-part rather than one whole image. For the PPG Annex I separated the pieces out, spreading them evenly along the wall [Fig. 2].
My research for Honours investigates the process of making art, where the process is not hidden but a prominent aspect of the work. Seperating the image like this divides the sections up, no longer seeing the image as a whole but as segments. I feel this is an extremely important shift in how I install. It represents its making more effectively because you can see the parts. Instead of encountering the large image as whole you are encountering it in pieces, which leaves behind the traces of process.
In the space I also documented a new performance. This was an experiment to explore how loose strips of receipt paper would react to a heat gun, hoping the heat gun would blow the paper around and make organic marks.
Using loose strips of receipt paper is a contrast to my previous performances this year. Usually the paper is joined together with masking tape.
Unfortunately this performance was not successful.
I left the strips of receipt paper exposed to natural light for too long (2 weeks). Receipt paper/thermal paper reacts to heat, when it is exposed to natural light the chemicals that create the marks loose their opacity, for example when you leave a receipt from a store on the dashboard of a car the text fades, eventually to nothing. Instead of reacting like I thought that paper did nothing, unless I was 10cm away from the paper.
This performance overall was a learning experience. I now know to make my objects closer to the performing date, and keep them away from natural light.
This semester I have been exploring the colour pink. Last semester I was drawn to red.
I do not believe that I will include any pink in my graduate exhibition, but I will experiment with it further in my own personal projects.
Fig. 4 was a pieces created as a reaction to the new install of In Over her Head, I traced white shapes from one of the sections and created a grid and the shapes from glitter foam. I would have liked to put pink card the same colour behind the glitter outlines. It would look more whole rather than disparate like it feels in this image.